Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Easy Basic Simple Vegan Pancakes

Hmmmm.... okay, so I am not so great at this whole blog thing yet.  The blog is still white.... you can't quite tell that the Lysol chemist is working in a really cute home kitchen in my banner.  I am sure my blog is white because I have the Lysol guy in my banner.  White just says "clean".  That's definitely gotta change... when I feel like it.
My entries need pictures.  I don't have any pictures of my food yet.  Hmmmmm.... I will cheat and go back in time and put the pictures in after I've taken pictures of the food in the future.  If you take a picture of food from the future before you prepare it, what happens if you change the recipe?  Does the picture change too?  Does Michael J. Fox start to fade before his guitar solo?

This is probably the first vegan recipe I ever came up with.  I remember being on Veggieboards as a new vegetarian and somebody kept telling me about their vegan pancake recipe and how I should try it.  My life was pretty disorganized and flighty at the time, so I ended up never trying theirs but instead, creating my own one weekend when I wanted pancakes.  If I remember correctly, I basically just read a recipe off the side of a package of flour or baking soda and substituted apple sauce for the eggs and rice milk for the milk.
One thing you may have already found as a vegan is that in baked goods, there is no one substitute for eggs.  As a matter of fact, the Post Punk Kitchen has a fantastic page that explains vegan substitutes for eggs in baking.  Eggs play many different roles in baking.  In pancakes, the eggs make the pancake more pliable and soft, rather than becoming a crisp wafer.  For this reason, apple sauce makes a good substitute.  The main difference in these pancakes and more traditional pancakes is these pancakes pick up a slight sweetness from the apple sauce.

Easy Basic Simple Vegan Pancakes
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder (aluminum-free recommended)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup soy milk (or any other plant milk)
  • 1/4 cup applesauce

  1. Combine dry ingredients well in a bowl.
  2. In another container, combine the applesauce and soy milk.
  3. Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and combine till all the flour is very moist but still a little lumpy.
  4. Heat up a pan -- I recommend an iron skillet with some spray oil on it -- and get it good and hot. Have a plate ready to catch completed pancakes.
  5. Take a 1/4 cup measure (like the one you used for the applesauce) and scoop up some batter and pour into the pan. You should hear it sizzle. (Don't pour any more in!)
  6. Wait until the pancake becomes bubbly and the bubbles look like they might want to stay, then turn the pancake over.
  7. Cook the other side for 30-45 seconds.
  8. Put the completed pancake onto the plate and repeat the batter pouring process until you run out of batter.  
This is one of these recipes where amounts can vary -- in this case, you may end up needing more soy milk than the recipe calls for in order to get a batter that will pour.  You don't want your batter too runny, but you also don't want a batter that is so thick it holds its own shape.  
After you have your non-stick pan or well-seasoned iron skillet heated up, you may want to turn the heat down just a tad -- medium high.   Too much heat will burn the outside of your pancakes while leaving them a gooey batter in the middle! 
Of course, when I make these, I also make a fruit topping to go with them.  Oh, I suppose you want a recipe for that too, huh?  Try them with syrup for now while I go figure out exactly how much cornstarch and water I use with my fruit.  Happy Eating! 

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmm... YUM! I bet these are good!
    Oh. Wait. I happen to know from firsthand experience that these are VERY good!!!

    ReplyDelete